Sunday, July 6, 2008

Field Marshal Sam Hormusji Framji "Sam Bahadur" Jamshedji Manekshaw

They don't make Generals like you anymore sir.

May your soul rest in peace Sam Bahadur.

Adios.

Big fat man, I hope you've finally decided on which dimension you belong to. The 9th is cool, though the 8th is OK. And I enjoyed the conversation about those Idli truths and Sambar lies.

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker - Ogden Nash.

Sitting here in the "Pad", which is the name of my home, listening to Orbit rock on worldspace and drinking Gentleman Jack, the lazy Sunday afternoon, the fresh breeze of the sea hidden behind the concrete jungle outside my window. I just realised a truth. Never ask women on directions to cook. They make it sound so very simple. Starting from your mom, to all of your friends. I always held the opinion (remember the show "Yan can cook") that all you had to do to cook is wear an apron, put something in the pan, let it sizzle, sip some whiskey, and say "Voila!" and do one "Ummm.....that's so strong and earthy!" and you'd get something amazing to eat.

Single men, all you'll get after doing this procedure is ordering a pizza or a burger from the nearest joint. I have friends, who are men, who can cook. I don't understand it, why can't I?

I need to work on this. The other day, I called my mom and asked her directions for making sambar, she explained for about 45 minutes on how to make the 'perfect' sambar powder and then, as an afterthought, said "...or you could just go to the nearest shop and buy MTR sambar powder, that's actually better." Damn, now why dint I think of that before?

I hope I get better.

P.S: I just made puliogare with MTR sambar powder. Call me for this mouth-watering recipe.

P.P.S: I won't give it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that ogden nash quote has been done to death.

it's the ninth dimension.

and i dont think i want that recipe.

Anonymous said...

If you make sambar like how we mallus make it, you wont need no powder! Don't call me for the recipe. It is, like life, too complicated!!

-Nisha

Couch Potato said...

Yep, they don't make men like Sam Bahadur anymore.
Now about your sambar powder puliogare recipe, I now know for sure that I'm not eating anything you offer me unless it comes in a sealed packet/box. Ever. Remember that when I drop in on you prior to my visit to Araku Valley.

The Rambler said...

Big fat man - Oh.

Nisha - I wont call da.

Couch Potato - What if its sealed but I sealed it?

Anonymous said...

Hey Adi, Read thru your blog. Have to disagree on women/men cooking style. The guys i know who can cook do not go from any calculation - they seem to pick and throw in whatever they fancy at that time. At some point you do start rambling for sure - but thats what keeps it interesting. So keep blogging& keep rocking.

The Rambler said...

Hey rohit,

Thanks bro. I will.